Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Excerpts of Eminence

These are my favorite quotes from Emma.

To youth and natural cheerfulness like Emma's, though under temporary gloom at night, the return of day will hardly fail to bring return of spirits. The youth and cheerfulness of morning are in happy analogy, and of powerful operation; and if the distress be not poignant enough to keep the eyes unclosed, they will be sure to open to sensations of softened pain and brighter hope.

"Such an admirer of her performance on the pianoforte, and of her voice! I have heard him say that he could listen to her for ever."

Surprises are foolish things. The pleasure is not enhanced, and the inconvenience is often considerable.

The ladies here probably exchanged looks which meant, "Men never know when things are dirty or not"; and the gentlemen perhaps thought each to himself, "Women will have their little nonsenses and needless cares."

"Oh, Miss Woodhouse, why are you always so right."
"Indeed, I am very sorry to be right in this instance."

To be quite honest, I do not think I can live without something of a musical society. I condition for nothing else; but without music, life would be blank to me.

They were off; and Emma could breathe.

I say that he is so very much occupied by the idea of not being in love with her, that I should not wonder if it were to end in his being so at last.

and though too distant for speech, her countenance said much, as soon as she could catch his eye again.

Her own conduct, as well as her own heart, was before her in the same few minutes.

"My dearest Emma," said he, "for dearest you will always be, whatever the event of this hour's conversation, my dearest, most beloved Emma."


Skyeler

No comments:

Post a Comment