Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Skyeler's Pride and Prejudice and Zombies book review

My review of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is, unfortunately, rather short. Upon starting this book I found it rather amusing that the author had taken Jane Austen's words and altered them to fit his plot, and then later extended entire scenes in order to include the killing, crushing, marriage, maiming, squishing, stabbing, burning, bruising, plunders, and the plagues of the zombies. The writing did not continue with the same well known (to us, anyway) style of Austen's writing. In short, this is something Jane would never have done. I found it rather ridiculous to find that people actually bought this book, and more still enjoyed it as its own story, not as a mere amusement to those Janeites who were laughing and scoffing at the execution of someone who obviously new nothing of the beauty of Pride and Prejudice in its original form. Granted, the idea was an interesting one, but for a serious reading? I was absolutely mystified that it would be an honest enjoyment as a book of its own.

After my beginning amusement and curiosity was over, I found the book very gross. In the end, I did not finish the book, finding it far to disturbing to continue through. When Elizabeth Bennet ripped the heart out of Lady Catherine's ninja I was cringing, and my stomach was churning as she actually took a bite out of it. Needless to say, I was rather queasy through a few scenes and, to put all eloquence aside, will say that it Freaked Me Out.

So yes...this book is not recommended for those of you with sensitive stomaches.


Skyeler

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I think I need to read this book just to get a sense of how disgusting it is. lol

    ReplyDelete