Monday, May 2, 2011

Elizabeth's Pride and Prejudice and Zombie's Book Review

Surprise and amusement were my first two emotions when Mrs. Angel told us we were going to be reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Throughout the book, my emotions varied from being totally disgusted, excessively diverted, and surprised at some of the crudeness that Seth Grahame-Smith decided to include. Overall, I had a fun time reading this book. Some in our group were disgusted, and others were enraged at the changes of their adored characters. I did not feel such deep feelings; I tried to think of it like a teenage guy would. Recently I read one of my guy friend’s favorite quotes on Facebook it was “any of the world's problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.” That idea is what I thought of when reading this, guys are extremely different from girls, and that includes their writing style and subject matter. Grahame-Smith is not a great reader of Jane Austen, I believe he simply wanted to write a book that would horrify and peak the curiosity of Austen fans, and one that the zombie lovers would read just to see the Bennett sisters in the pentagon of death. I believe it was written to be a fun, comical, non-serious read, that that is just how I read it.
Elizabeth

3 comments: