Friday, January 28, 2011

Mentions of Magnitude

These are some of my favorite quotes from Mansfield Park. I had quite a few this time :)


But there certainly are not so many men of large fortune in the world, as there are pretty women to deserve them.

Their vanity was in such good order, that they seemed to be quite free from it, and gave themselves no airs; while the praises attending such behavior secured, and brought round by their aunt, served to strengthened them in believing they had no faults.

The never failing hope of his arrival was worth much.

Lady Bertram holding exercise to be as unnecessary for everybody as it was unpleasant to herself; and Mrs. Norris, who was walking all day, thinking everybody out to walk as much.

Fanny must have a horse. (As Edmund said this, we now know he was a man with a good taste in gifts...)

No other attempt made at secrecy, than Mrs. Norris's talking of it everywhere as a matter not to be talked of at present.

"I do not pretend to set people right, but I do see that they are often wrong."
Those who are showing the world what female manners should be," said Mr. Bertram gallantly, "are doing a great deal to set them right."

"Cut down an avenue! What a pity! Does not it make you think of Cowper? 'Ye fallen avenues, once more I mourn your fate unmerited.'" (one of my favorites!)

"I shall be most happy to play to you both," said Miss Crawford; "at least, as long as you can like to listen; probably much longer, for I dearly love music myself, and where the natural taste is equal, the player must always be best off, for she is gratified in more ways than one."

This was a most unjust reflection, but Fanny could allow for it, and let it pass; Julia was vexed, and her temper was hasty, but she felt that it would not last.

"I think the man who could often quarrel with Fanny," said Edmund affectionately, "must be beyond the reach of any sermons."

"Here's harmony!" said she, "Here's repose! Here's what may leave all painting and all music behind, and what poetry only can attempt to describe. Here's what may tranquillize every care, and lift the heart to rapture!"

"It is a great while since we have had any star-gazing." (This quote comes from one of my favorite parts in the book, which I also found very sad.)

You know how I always feel for the horses.

"But then I am unlike other people I dare say."
"Why should you dare say that? (smiling) Do you want to be told that you are only unlike other people in being more wise and discreet?"

"You will think me rhapsodizing; but when I am out of doors...I am very apt to get into this sort of wondering strain."

"To me, the sound of Mr. Bertram is so cold and nothing-meaning - so entirely without warmth or character! - It just stands for a gentleman, and that's all. But there is nobleness in the name of Edmund. It is a name of heroism and renown - of kings, princes, and knights; and seems to breathe the spirit of chivalry and warm affections." (Mmn, do we see a bit of Marianne here in quiet Fanny?)

I have no pleasure in the world superior to that of contributing to yours. (Amazing.)

To her, the hand-writing itself, independent of anything it may convey, is a blessedness. Never were such characters cut by any other human being, as Edmund's commonest hand-writing gave! This specimen, written in haste as it was, had not a fault; and there was a felicity in the flow of the first four words, in the arrangement of "My very dear Fanny," which she could have looked at for ever. (I agree here. Handwriting is so special!)

"Are they musical?
"I do not know. I never heard."
"That is the first question, you know, which every woman who plays herself is sure to ask about another." (Ah, and I do NOT like Mary Crawford, but her quotes on music still make me smile, however she meant them :) )

If she did not need counsel, she must need to comfort of communication.

We have all a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be.


Skyeler

1 comment:

  1. Fanny must have a horse. I love this one, because I think all girls, well almost all girls needs a horse. love granny

    ReplyDelete