Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Christmas Break

During the month of December, Conversations with Jane took a small break from Jane Austen's main novels to read one of her smaller works. Lady Susan was a nice break and though none of us liked the character Lady Susan herself, I think we all enjoyed the book. It was a short novel written in letter form. That threw me off a bit at first, but the girls didn't seem to have a problem keeping everyone straight. (That doesn't mean they are smarter than me, no way LOL)! Lady Susan was a self seeking, lying, money hungry, nasty piece of work and a horrid mother to boot! It was different reading a story where the main character of the novel was NOT someone you could like. Honestly, you just wanted to wring her neck :) There was no syllabus, no study notes, we just read and discussed it. And it was a great discussion at that. We touched on a wide range of topics. After our discussion, we also talked about how we have liked the Austen novels we have read so far. Everyone's list looked a little different. We also spent some time just having fun with a couple games I found online. Who knew that girls got so competitive when Sour Patch Kid and Spree candy canes were on the line. Yikes!! There were no blog projects assigned for December. In January we will visit Mansfield Park.

The girls enjoying tea and yummies at Robin's house.

The first of the games we played. A Jane Austen word search I found here.

Like I said, the first one done won a candy cane. Look at the concentration :)


The word search was pretty easy compared to the next game.

I found a couple Jane Austen crossword puzzles online here. There were some pretty tough questions and the girls had to get their Sense and Sensibility books out and really search for the answers LOL!

The girls were cracking me up. I heard, "we need to move, they are listening to our answers!" and "no were NOT! and "my Kindle has a search engine, can I use that?!" LOL! The puzzle turned out to be really hard and after working on it for a while I told them that they only had 15 more minutes. All six shouted "NO! We need more time!" I finally did put a stop to it and then there was an argument, um discussion about who won. Maybe no more games for candy canes :)

Angel

2 comments:

  1. I thought the cross word puzzle was much more fun than the word search (considering I finished the latter about thirty minutes after everyone else...) I also didn't know that you took a picture of me with my unfinished scarf with knitting needles still attached around my neck *blink*

    I don't see a reason to take away the candy canes........... (*hint hint*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, don't take away our candy canes!! Lol I still think my team won ;)

    ReplyDelete