Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Meandering through Mansfield Park

The holidays being over, we got back into the swing of Conversations with Jane with Mansfield Park. Mansfield Park is one of Jane Austen's longer books and it certainly took most of us quite a while to finish it. We actually pushed back a CwJ meeting a week and still Skyeler and I were up late finishing it Thursday and Elizabeth finished right before we started Friday (she had technical difficulties). We met for tea at Sharon's minus Hadley and Sarah. After some yummy shortbread cookies, we got settled in for our book discussion. I had an activity planned, however due to some confusion, we decided to do it the next week. This turned out to be just fine as there was much discussion about the book.

I have been so pleased with the insights the girls continually come up with. Each has their own opinion and voice and no trouble expressing it. :) The differing opinions open up different possibilities for us all to consider, whether we end up agreeing or not. I had thought that Sense and Sensibility would be our most debated book (and it still holds that honor), however, Mansfield Park ran a close second thanks to the character of Fanny Price. Some say that Fanny Price of Mansfield Park is one of Austen's most un-heroine like heroines. It is said that she has not the wit of an Elizabeth Bennett or the passion of a Marianne Dashwood. At first glance it certainly seems that way. The novel seemingly plodded along (for me) for sixteen chapters before we even really got around to Fanny. Fanny is never thought of, unless for some menial task another does not want to do. She doesn't stand up for herself and is physically weak. Calleigh disliked her a great deal (as you will see in her blog project). Skyeler found an Austen character that she identified with maybe more than Marianne. Elizabeth and Tori fell somewhere in between.

I must confess that I thought Northanger Abbey was my least favorite Austen novel. As I read Mansfield Park for the second time, I realized that it had claimed that title (for now). The book seemed to go on forever! I was disgusted with Edmund, found myself actually feeling sorry for Henry Crawford (how could I?!), and had mixed feelings about Fanny. After our meeting, however, I realized that I took more notes on Mansfield Park than any of the other novels to date. Jane Austen's views on the church are widely spoken of by characters in this novel and I found them to be oddly still applicable to today. Mrs. Norris, Fanny's aunt, was one of the most despicable characters (I am wondering if Filch's cat, Mrs. Norris, is named after this character) and I found myself trying to count her despicable moments. They were too numerous and I gave up LOL! I found moments where Fanny could rival Marianne's passion and a little of Catherine's imagination. And after having numerous discussions with my daughter about Fanny's good qualities, I have a slightly different appreciation of the book now than when I finished it.

As I have already rambled on, I will go ahead and close for now. If I find the time, I will post some of my numerous quotes from Mansfield Park in a separate post. Enjoy the blog projects to come. As usual, the girls were very creative!

Skyeler, Tori, Elizabeth, and Calleigh having tea.


The girls working on a short activity: at what point did various characters in Mansfield Park really see Fanny for who she was.

Angel

1 comment:

  1. I would have loved to have had tea with you girls. Looks like a lot of fun. Love Granny

    ReplyDelete