Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Skyeler's Pride and Prejudice Blog Project

For my blog project, I decided to write a letter from Lydia's point of view. It does not entirely line up with the book's timeline, but close enough that it still makes sense.

Dearest Kitty,

Since I have come to Brighton, I have scarce had time to write I have been so busy. Even today two invitations requesting me to join them have already come in. You will never guess who from. I could hardly believe it myself when I began to receive so many letters.
The first came from that droll cousin of ours, Mr. Collins. He thought it was his "duty" to pay his respects to me, for some reason so unimportant I have forgotten it already! He has been in town recently, and thought I would take a liking to a visit from him. To add to this scandal, he was wrongly informed that I would be near his area. Of course I have been intending to travel with a dear friend of mine (who is the other correspondent I mentioned previousy) but I had no intentions of paying a visit to our cousin. As it were, he could have no knowledge of my departure. It is a grand secret! To avoid having to meet him anyway, I informed Mr. Collins of a prior engagement of mine. Seeing as how I had no such engagement, I made one up and compensated by fixing a real commitment after. You would have done the same were you in my position.
The second is from the man of whom I can hardly cease talking. It is Mr. Wikham who wrote, and he also is the one I made arrangements with. It makes me laugh just to think that the two of us shall be traveling within a week. He will be here for tea, even within the hour (my idea to escape from the likes of Collins and his plan for a visit with myself.) Now I have little time to write, and I bid you adieu until I next write.

Yours and etc.
Lydia


Skyeler

No comments:

Post a Comment