Monday, October 25, 2010

A Journey Begins

Welcome to "The Austen Sisters!" We are so pleased that you have paused to take a look at our little corner here. Our wish is that you find it everything that is amiable.

My own journey into Jane Austen's novels began with my parent's discovery of BBC's Pride and Prejudice (1995). After viewing the mini-series, I was curious to read the novel. I had thought myself to be a widely read person, but somehow I had missed Jane Austen. The love of Jane Austen's work has been evolving ever since, through the novels I have read and the movie adaptations I have watched.

Skyeler (and even Aly) has come to share my love of Jane. Really, I'm not sure that she had much of a choice. Our circle of friends here, both moms and girls, have their own love of all things Austen. Somehow Jane has made her way into our everyday lives. Whether we are discussing the merits of Colin Firth as the ultimate Mr. Darcy, which one of us is more of an "Elinor" or "Marianne," or just slipping our favorite Jane Austen quotes into any and every conversation, Jane is near by.

With all of this Austen-ness floating around, I thought it only appropriate that one of Skyeler's high school electives this year be a literature study focused on the works of Jane Austen. Skyeler had yet to read all of her works and after some internet research, I could see the whole study coming together. We invited Sharon, Tori, and Elizabeth - Robin, Hadley, and Calleigh - and Beverly and Sarah to join us and Conversations with Jane was born.

As the school year progresses, we will make our way through all of Jane Austen's published novels, as well as some of her unpublished works. Conversations with Jane will encompass the reading of the novels, discussion, a Regency inspired activity, and a blog project. The year will culminate with the girls attending a Regency Ball in a Regency gown that they are even now working on sewing themselves.

For each novel we read, the girls will be required to complete a project to be posted here on the blog. This will also be the place for them to share their favorite quotes and any other thoughts they may have. I will also be sharing pictures and anecdotes from our Conversations with Jane meetings.

So we invite you to join "The Austen Sisters," as the girls have so named themselves and the blog, each month and share in our journey. We hope you find it all that is amiable and agreeable.

Angel

1 comment:

  1. ANGEL, I THINK THIS IS A GREAT IDEA FOR A STUDY IN LITERATURE. LOVE ME, KY

    ReplyDelete